MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have a 2012 E220Sport I recently bought an interface cable

Customer Question

I have a 2012 E220Sport I recently bought an interface cable for my i phone 5c but the interface comes up as unavailable if I plug my phone in other messaage on screen says"device not compatible"
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

Are you trying to use your phone for music playback?

Do you have full media interface or just a USB socket?

If you have media interface are you using the new lead with the lightning connector or do you have the older 38pin iphone connector lead with an adapter?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Paul,My interface cable has a Usb to which I connect the apple lead it charges the phone so it is obviously working and doesn't affect Bluetooth for phone but won't link in with music

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Paul, Yes.it's for music.the bluetooth hands free is fine but when I connect the interface cable the Media interface and media options come up on the menu on the car screen.if I then connect the Apple Usb lead to the interface and click interface I get 3 options 1 is o.2 is Unavailable and 3 Aux if I then disconnect the apple cable 2 goes to Media interface if I then clck that it says "no device connected".connect the cable and it says" device not compatible"

Yes,Bluetooth hands free is working fine,but no music will come through,with the media interface cable inseerted I get the options on the screen 1 says o, 2 says media interface, 3 says Aux if i plug in the iphone lead 2 goes to unavailable if I then go to Media on the menu it comes up "device not compatible"if I then disconnect the apple cable it says" no device connected"So I have no music from my i phone either through Bluetooth or the interface cable.Seems like a waste of money for the interface or are i phones a waste of space?

Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for any delay - I have not been able to get online for a while

Are you using a Mercedes lead with the smaller iphone 5 connector or the older larger iphone 4 connector with an adapter?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using an interface lead from mercedes with a USB socket on the end to which I plug in my apple connector

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using the smaller i phone connect with a USB which plugs into the interface cable with a usb on the end

Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

The later lead with the smaller iphone 5 lightning connector is not compatible in your vehicle Im afraid. They are only for use in the very latest generation vehicles.

In your vehicle you need the older 38 pin lead and an adapter from apple to convert to the smaller connector.

This is why you are getting the error message.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Ireland,I have gone into Apple Store and only see 30 pin lightning cable available,no sign of a 38 pin cable anywhere? not to mention an adaptor!!!??? Is this Apple or MB?

Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, it is a 30 pin connector! Basically it converts the old style adapter to the new style & is available from apple.

Apologies for any confusion!

Best regards Paul