Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

The rear door (tailgate) lock is no longer opening the back

Customer Question

The rear door (tailgate) lock is no longer opening the back door on my sons Vito110CDI Van (2003). Is there a way to solve this problem. The van has a broken tail light cluster that must be replaced before it can be put through an MOT. Ashleigh XXXXXXXX

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Stan :

Hello Ashleigh,
Please make sure that the tailgate lock was unlocked with the key if possible. The central locking motor might have failed in the tailgate. Then check if there is a possibility to open the door from inside, this will override the central locking.

Stan :

If there are no tailgate opening levers on the Vito version at hand, the lock should be accessed through the tailgate paneling and released

Stan :

once the tailgate is open, the cental locking and it's wiring will have to be tested.

Stan :

regards, Stan

JACUSTOMER-rxn0rlxd- :

Hi Stan, the key lock seems to be working ok but the external handle moves normally but does not open the door. This is a six seater chassis cab model. There is no access to the rear compartment from within the passenger area.

Stan :

But you should be able to get inside through the side sliding door, right? Is it working?

JACUSTOMER-rxn0rlxd- :

Hi Stan, sliding door is ok but is crew access to the rear three of the six seats. The metal bulkheead is rearward of the sliding door and seems to be a solid construction ie no sign of bolts.

Stan :

OK, i see. In this case i suggest to have the locksmith remove the outside tailgate handle to access the door lock. It is a job for a proffesional from my point of view

JACUSTOMER-rxn0rlxd- :

Hi Stan, I'm sorry to mark this the way I have but I have found that the manufacturer has designed in a way to resolye the problem I described. I understand that you may not wish to divulge this over the net (as I also will not) but the service did have my mobile phone number. The problem is now resolved.