Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My wife has a Mercedes SLK 57 reg.Can you please advise on

Customer Question

My wife has a Mercedes SLK 57 reg.Can you please advise on seat belts sticking.I notice there is a different loop through which the belt travels on the new model.The car is under warranty but Mercedes do not want to know.
Alistair
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

sticking seat belts is usually a build of dirt on the belt and dust build up inside the spring rewind / tension mechanisim

1st thing to do is clean the belt with some foaming upholstery / carpet cleaner

pull it right out and spray along its lts length on both sides then wipe clean

then if it stil sticks you need to remove the plastic trim on the interior of the car that masks the belt reel, this are held in place with push clips and a couple of fasteners

with teh trim removed again fully extend the belt and then use some clean rags and brake cleaner to remove all the dirt and dust from inside the reel, and then pop the side cap off that covers the spring and clean that out too