Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a Mercedes Benz E240 V6 auto petrol estate (2001) I

I have a Mercedes Benz E240 V6 auto petrol estate (2001) I have transplanted a used engine (2000) and have fitted an ecu/ignition switch/ignition key pack that is numerically identical to the ecu that I removed. Have fitted a new battery. The car "wakes up" when unlocked with the remote. The dash says "all cool". The key goes into the barrel. there is no "turn-on" noise. The key will not turn. When the dash is lit-up , the gear indicator has no number on it - just an illuminated plug outline in the window.
Is it a wrong key ? Is it something else ? With the original ecu and key, the engine turned-over but didn't fire.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Stan :

regards,
Stan

Stan :

Steering lock is also coded to the ignition switch. If no correct communication between them- the key will not turn. Also, the compliant VIN must be in the transmission and gearshift lever units. They should be checked and changed with Star Diagnosis computer.