Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an 2002 clk240 2.6 running twin K&N Air filters. I have

Customer Question

I have an 2002 clk240 2.6 running twin K&N Air filters. I have lost power & cannot accelerate above 20mph. I have fitted a new Mass air flow meter but know I still require a LH front CAT & lambda sensor, as I can hear the CAT on occassion & upon observation seen that the lambda sensor has been soldered on. Could a blocked\faulty CAT & sensor be responsible (especially as my car has 4 x CAT's)???
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the gaping hole will have been source of misfires and misfires rapidly damage a cat

the hole will introduce an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

so yes I do think 1 or more of the cats has broken up and is blocking the exhaust

I'd next remove the oxygen sensors just before each cat and inspect the state of each cat brick

the surface should be even with no lumps and bumps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Matt, after carrying out the work i earlier described. It has resolved almost all my issues (Engine light has gone\stayed off, no multiple misfires, Power has returned etc) Sorry for the late reply, but I had it sussed quite literally 5mins after sending you my initial question.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Understood Lee

is there anything else I can help with?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you press accept at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please press accept.

If you don't press accept then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.