Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I have a b180 auto and the transmission has failed it makes

Hi I have a b180 auto and the transmission has failed it makes a horrible crunching sound when put into drive or reverse any thoughts ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd 1st suggest dropping the transmisson oil and draining through some paper towel as its empties this will catch any debris and provide more clues

if the oil is clean then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..