Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a Mercedes Benz E240 V6 Elegance estate (2001). I have

I have a Mercedes Benz E240 V6 Elegance estate (2001). I have put an exchange motor from a (2000) model. I have bought a used ecu/barrel/key and fitted it. the ecu is a replica of the one that I removed. The replacement engine has no hole for the fly wheel sensor . A new battery has been fitted.
The dash wakes-up ; the car unlocks with the new key (remote). When the key goes into the barrel , there no noise of recognition and it does not turn - the engine will not turn-over.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question here - Please just let me know if you still need help with this - if so, we can progress-

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike . I have been told to employ a man with a star diagnostic device so as to reset the many computers in my E240 Elegance. What do you think ?

Regards ***** ***** .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike. What information do you need ?

regards ***** ***** . ( Hampshire , South-East England )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
The ignition switch can be turned only if the electornic steering lock gives correct drive authorization feedback. Only then the ignition can be turned on. So the steering lock from the donor is needed as well. Some locksmiths are able to hack and overwrite the VIN in the relevant control units.
From another side, if the engines are the same, there is no need to use different ECU, new should run more or less fine with original ECU. The engine management software can be changed by the chip tuners.

Also, i have never seen these engines without the crankshaft position sensor- Without it's signal, injectors, ignition coils and fuel pump will not be actuated when engine is cranked.

Best Regards,
Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer