Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Have c 180 ---2006 Wiper will not work in normal position

Customer Question

Have c 180 ---2006
Wiper will not work in normal position --Will give one wipe with button press or three wipes with wash but will not stay on all the time
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 3 years ago.
Stan :

Such symptom occurs when the rain sensor fails, if you have it. I assume that pos. 2 and up are working ok.

JACUSTOMER-74kk8os4- :

Do not have rain sensor as far as I am aware

Stan :

In this case, the sensor on the windscreen should be replaced or vehicle re-coded not to have the sensor

Stan :

then wiper will work in time-interval mode.

Stan :

Sorry, i typed in the answer before seeing your reply

Stan :

Does the wiper work ok in 2nd position?

JACUSTOMER-74kk8os4- :

Yes and also with a single button push which will give a wash and three wipes

Stan :

I suggest to have the vehicle codings checked. It can be that the coding got a glitch, and now expects the signal from rain sensor.

Stan :

This can be done with Star Diagnosis computetr. Some independent MB shops have this tool besides the dealer

JACUSTOMER-74kk8os4- :

Mercedes garage were telling me that its the stalk and I need to get the airbags disconnected and steering taken out ---Quoted approx. 600 euro incl labour

Stan :

Can you tell me the VIN of your car? I will check if it has the rain sensor and approx cost for the stalk.

JACUSTOMER-74kk8os4- :

What is VIN ???

Stan :

17-digit vehicle identification number, it is in the vehicle registration papers