Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hi, i have a smart car, and every now and then when I'm driving,

Customer Question

hi, i have a smart car, and every now and then when I'm driving, the yellow triangle with an exclamation point lights up and the car stop, what can i do
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

the warning light you describe sounds like a problem with the ABS system which can stop the car as you've found and really the next step is to get it plugged into a diagnostic device