Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My Mercedes Benz W220 S320 CDi 2002 is too smoky when accelerate

Customer Question

My Mercedes Benz W220 S320 CDi 2002 is too smoky when accelerate sometimes and also after a stop at traffic light and go. It has been serviced last Friday 31/11/2014. What to do to get it the smoke stop?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What sort of service was carried out? what things replaced?

What colour is the smoke that you see?

Was this an issue before the service?

Any performance issues or misfiring as such since this fault occurred or warning lights come on?

What mileage does it have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

B service

What colour is the smoke that you see?

It depends, sometimes blue or black one

Was this an issue before the service?

Yes, one week before the service

No misfiring and no warning

What mileage does it have?

113278 miles

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..thanks for your reply..

If there are no codes as such then it maybe well worth at least looking into the EGR system & removing the EGR valve to clean it out as this can give the type of problems you have - excessive smoking under load or taking off from a standstill - so if that hasnt been checked out as of yet then that might be one place to start..ensure the valve does work where ever take the vehcile to have this carried out..a simple clean maybe all its needing as these valve tend get coated in soot and thus the valve isnt able to open a shut and cause problems like you have above..

The next area of inspection would be the intake/intercooler pipe work to ensure there no tears or leaks in the/also check around the turbo,check for possible internal oil leaks on the turbo.wastegate is able to move freely - have you tried an diesel injector cleaner additive..if not then maybe try that in the tank of fuel and run it through and se if that helps..so as above certainly hve the EGR checked out first..I do hope this helps