Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

is footbrake pedal and cable that runs to rear brakes all in

is footbrake pedal and cable that runs to rear brakes all in one.if so how do i go about repair. my car is a 2006 ml320 w164. thanks. billy.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

there are 2 brake systems, the foot pedal is a hydraulic system on all 4 wheels and the handbrake pulls a cable that works just the rears

what is the issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE FOOTPEDAL BRAKE(HANDBRAKE) WHICH PULLS THE CABLE TO THE REAR BRAKES. THE CABLE IS FRAYED AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE FOOTPEDAL(HANDBRAKE) AND THE CABLE ARE SEPERATE ITEMS OR ALL ONE ITEM AND HOW I SHOULD GO ABOUT REPAIRING THE FRAYED CABLE. THANKS BILLY

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Billy

the hand / footbrake cable is seperate to the foot hydraulic brake system, so it can be replaced seperatly

its best to remove the wheels and then disconnect the cables from each brake caliper they then join together into a single cable that is then attached to the foot brake pedal with a clevis fork and a pin - the pin has retaining clip that once removed allows the pin to be removed and the cable withdrawn