mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi Mercedes Mechanic.I have in my workshop 2001 s-class 320CDTI

Hi Mercedes Mechanic.I have in my workshop 2001 s-class 320CDTI with low voltage readings at the battery terminals(11.4v just at Idle-10.48 volts with lights & fan on)Could you advise whether the alternator comes out from the top or below & what do I have to remove to get it out.Thanks-Montrose Garage-Beccles
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Montrose,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
The alternator on this vehicle comes out from the top of the engine bay and the only parts that need to come off is the drive belt, the alternator bolts, and the alternator electrical connector.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Not as simple as you make it sound.The alternator sits right below the turbo & the water pump underneath air inlet ducts & there is only 2" clearance between the alternator drive pulley & the cooling fan cowling.More info please.

Terence/

Can you post the vin number for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, Sorry about the delay in replying.Vin No WDB2200262A252885.

Hope this helps Terence at *****@******.***

Ok according to the vin, the cooling fan and cowl comes out and then the drive belt, after the alternator bolts are removed the alternator comes forward towards the radiator and then up and out of the engine compartment.
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.