mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hello I have a 2007 Merc SLK200 Kompressor, R171. Ignition

I have a 2007 Merc SLK200 Kompressor, R171.
Ignition key when turned fully to right will not start engine. Battery OK, no noise to indicate engaging the starter solenoid; I am told that ECU needs resetting, can you advise on this please?
Many thanks, Colin
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response. This issue on these vehicles is normally caused by a failing ignition switch which is how the starter gets its signal to spin over, the ecu rarely causes this issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike

Thanks for that. Ignition switch could be a possibility, as I have experienced it "sticking" in the past and not returning to pos.2 after starting!

Is changing the switch something I could attempt, as currently the vehicle is at my house in France and not easily accessible to a dealership. I would need to obtain the part through the internet, if I can find the right part to buy.

I would appreciate your comments and/or advice

Colin

Unfortunately the switch will need to be replaced by a shop or the dealer because after the replacement the system has to be linked to the new switch using a diagnostic tool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem turned out to be the simple replacement of a fuse in the solenoid circuit. The fuse replaced was a 15A fuse in the corner of the engine compartment fuse box!

I'm glad you got the issue fixed. Thank you