MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

heater in my 2005 e320 does not get hot only warm why?

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

In the vast majority of cases this will be due to a bad thermostat in the cooling system & would start by replacing this.

There is also a heater shutoff valve in the system that can fail & stick but this would usually cause no heat through the heater rather than warm air, but if it is partially stuck then this could also be the cause.

I would also have the car checked on a diagnostic tool to see if there are any faults in the heater system & to check the values of the temp sensors to see if any are reading values out of spec that also may effect heater temperatures.

The thermostat would be my starting point unless you have access to a diagnostic tool in the first instance.

Best regards, Paul