Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer

M272 Engine

Customer Question

Good evening, I wonder if you can help me please? I have just recently bought a W203 C280 Avantgarde SE, 2006, 53,000 miles. It seems immaculate in every way...but I am hearing the M272 engine has balancer shaft issues. The engine number is ***** Is it possible to check if it's an at risk engine? Also, is it possible to check whether the shaft has already been done? Car VIN WDC2030542R202740? iIf the worse case scenario is bad engine, not replaced - what % of these 'bad' engines actually go on to have problems and after what mileage? Sorry for all the questions, but after 12 years solid service from my old W202 C240 I would be gutted if I have now bought a duffer. Many thanks for your patience.

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately your engine is in the risk group, and the issue has not been repaired within warranty period. The problem starts to show as of 50000 miles. The balance shaft gear material is too soft. So in my opinion, the issue will come out sooner or later on all engines, depending on the timing chain load ( accelerations, cold starts ,etc.)
Best Regards,