Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a love/hate relationship with our a140 52 plate manual.

Customer Question

I have a love/hate relationship with our a140 52 plate manual. I have had the usual problems like replacing the starter motor, engine light on after changing battery and noisy tappets on cold start. However, it flew through it's MOT. We have only done 4000 miles in it and the speedo reads only 77k from new. The latest is an ominous rumble from the gearbox. All gears the same and goes off when clutch dipped. It is getting louder by the day and I suspect that the previous owner had quietened it down somehow. Is that possible? I have been quoted £800 from non merc gearbox specialist. Even if I fix that, there is a clonk from the n/side rear going over speed bumps. This car is a money pit. Is it time to get rid?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

as you've been finding out the A class was not mercedes finest hour and all the faults you list are well known

the noise you're hearing is the clutch release bearing , this isn't too serious and the car will carry on for several thousand miles like this , they can just start getting noisy, often if the car is driven through a ford and the so the cltuch gets wet the grease in the bearing is washed out

to repair the gearbox has to come off so its about 6-7 hours labour and around £30 in parts if you just replace the bearing

although most choose to change the whole clutch while the box is off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pretty sure it's not release bearing. Noise is connected to road speed not engine speed.Noise is a rumble in all gears and goes off when clutch dipped. Also there is the issue of the clonk from the rear, over speed humps.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Paul

the release bearing will shut up when its under pressure regardless of road or engien speed

as you press the clutch pedal, the hydraulics move the bearing foward to press hard against the clutch springs

this takes up any slack and usually makes the bearing noise reduce or stop

the clonk from the rear could be an anti-roll bar drop link as these only become loose when both rear wheels drop down together ( link a speed hump)

to check this

get both rear wheels off the ground and have a good feel of the anti-roll bar links and bushes

there should be no slack at all
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help with this?