Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Considering a purchase of a 7 year old Mercedes s6 350. when

Customer Question

Considering a purchase of a 7 year old Mercedes s6 350. when test driving the brakes felt very odd in that I had to push the pedal quite hard for the brakes to work.
they certainly worked ok.
However when I returned to my 5 series BMW I almost put myself into the window as I was used to the merc.
Can you give me some guidance, if there is a potential issue, what shall I look for, is it going to be costly
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Properly working brakes should not make you feel like this. Such symptoms indicate a serious problems with the brakes. Possibly cheap brake discks and pads were installed, brake calipers seized or malfunctioning brake booster.
But please keep in mind that 5-series are lighter and S350 does not have a performance brake system.
Nonetheless i have never heard S-class owners complain that too much force needs to be applied to stop.

Best regards,
Stan