MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hello Mr Matt! My MB had MAF problem I decided to buy a second

Customer Question

Hello Mr Matt!
My MB had MAF problem I decided to buy a second hand ecu with different number for my MB A160 w168 and I cleaned up , but when I tried to make it work the battery was flat. I charged it but now shows the Error start message on dashboard.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid that a second hand ECU from another vehicle will not work - they are locked to each vehicle through VIN coding & once locked to a vehicle cannot be reprogrammed to work in another.

This forms part of the vehicles immobiliser which is why you are getting a "start error" message on the dash.

There are 2 options - a new ECU from Mercedes which is obviously very expensive & needs coding on Mercedes STAR before it will work or to send your original ECU to a specialist company for repair.

Here is a company that offers such repairs: BBA Reman

Best regards, Paul