mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a low mileage series, 6 years old, which has recently

Customer Question

I have a low mileage B series, 6 years old, which has recently developed a fault on start up. Turn the key and there is a grinding, graunching noise couple of seconds almost as though the starter will not disengage after the engine fires up. This performance happens on very cold days or after the car has not been used couple of days. Can you offer some help, plese, as tyhe last thing I want to do i cause mechanical damage. Non techie me is worried. What can I do plrases.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long response.
From what you are describing, the starter solenoid is sticking and causing the starter motor to stay engaged longer than it should.
The starter will likely need to be replaced, since the starter has been doing this, when the starter is replaced the flywheel would need to be checked as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

Thank you reply to my problem. It looks as though the news is all bad to say nothing of expensive. I would buy a Merc!!

After the new year break I'll talk to a couple of local MB dealers and see what they have to say.

Again, mnay thanks.

Alex XXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I rated you as "Excellent serivice"