Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 200slk x reg,losing water but can't see where from

I have a 200slk x reg,losing water but can't see where from oil ok, changed water pump radiator cap,no white smoke coming out of exhaust,could it still be the head gasket,and how much should I be paying to get it fixed,,thanks Craig
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Craig,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Craig

If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not had chance to check it out yet but thanks for advice ,,how much if it is head gasket?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

to replace a gakset is about 5-6 hours of labour and £200 worh of parts - more if you decide to replace the timing chain at the same time ( not that there's any need to at this milage)

a typical independent garage labour rate is about £80/ hour and a mercedes main dealer about £150 / hour

however in the meantime I'd suggest trying a bottle of this sealent, as I've used a several times with good results, it won't block cooling channels either

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years