Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Model CLK 2.2CDI,Year2007.What should water temp gauge read?

Model CLK 2.2CDI,Year2007.What should water temp gauge read? Mine reads 83C on a hot day,say 30C;and 70C with a outside temperature of -5C. Surely the water temperature should be held somewhere near 100c for best efficiency?
Thanks in anticipation,
Ken.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ken,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Shantal,

I'm not sure what further information you require to answer my question,but to put it another way,shouldn't the temperature gauge in my instrument panel be reading around 100C during normal operation.

Regards,

Ken.

Hello Ken,
Thank you for getting back to me and for providing additional information. We have Professionals online all the time, unfortunately they may not have the experience needed to assist you. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ken,

Normal water temperature on the gauge should be 80-85C degrees.
Of course it takes longer to acheive this in colder weather. But 30 minutes on motorway is enough to reach 80 degrees at -5.
If temperature does not rise, there is a malfunction. First thing to check are the thermostat and the heater booster (if installed). If the radiator starts to warm up when engine temperature is 30C, it indicates faulty thermostat.
Heater booster has to be checked with Star Diagnosis computer- some independent MB shops have this tool besides the dealers.

Best Regards,
Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer