Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

my 2003 a class mercedes has a serious indicator problem in

Customer Question

my 2003 a class mercedes has a serious indicator problem in that occasionally when I indicate left the right indicator comes on. how do I repair this?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Stan :

to show to your electrician.

Stan :

Either the instrument cluster or combination switch is faulty.

Stan :

Most likely it is the combinations stalk/switch on the steering column, which gives incorrect resistance to the instrument cluster. It makes sense to replace the switch before deeming the cluster to be faulty. A used one can be installed.
Only new cluster can be installed, which will also require the coding with Star Diagnosis computer at the dealer or independent MB shop.

Stan :

If replacing the switch will not help, it is worth to consult with this company about repairing of your cluster:
http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/

Stan :

Best Regards,
Stan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help Stan.

The combination stalk switch has been replaced but the indicator problem remains so it looks like I have no option but to have my instrument cluster replaced.

There is no other possible cause is there?

Thanks again for your help Stan

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
On this model, the cluster controls the indicators, so it is a logical conclusion that the cluster is the next step. So i recommend to check if the cluster can be rebuilt by the company i suggested earlier.

My pleasure to assist you and thanks for the good rating.

Cheers,
Stan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Stan,

after more than 3 weeks and having replaced the indicator stalk and having my cluster rebuilt the problem persists.

I did not even get onto the road from the garage yard because I had to indicate left to turn onto the road and the right indicator came on. I parked up again,left the engine running and the indicator switched on and went to tell the garage mechanic who was on the phone.

I stood watching the right indicator 'winking' but suddenly the left indicator engaged followed after a short time by the right again.

I am at my wits end and in despair, I have spent in excess of £250 not including labour cost for replacing the cluster which I still have to pay.

Is there anything else which could cause this problem?

Neil.

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Neil,
sorry to hear the bad news.
I understand that after replacement of the cluster, it was working properly for a short while. In this case the cluster was not properly repaired, and failed again shortly. Cluster repairer shoul take care of it under their warranty.
regards Stan