mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

, I live in Cyprus and I have a C180 compressor, petrol ,

Hi, I live in Cyprus and I have a C180 compressor, petrol , man. Dec. 2005. I have read in some websites from many owners of the same model as mine, that their cars had problems with the timing chain system very early, about 100000 miles.
I have two questions: 1. Does it happen really? And what is the cause?
2. Is there any sign or measurement that warns us that the chain is near to slip or break?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
It is not a common issue for a timing related failure on these engines, however it can happen. When a failure occurs it is normally a timing chain guide that becomes weak and breaks, when this happens there is a warning as the chain will start to rattle before the timing jumps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike. I have read your answer but I need some more information.

It may happen that the driver doesn't notice the rattling . Is there any other more secure way for a mechanic to detect the problem before it becomes obvious? Is it possible to see something different from the normal on his computer?

The engine will start to rattle but also the camshaft phasers will be out of sequence which will either set a code in the system or show on the diagnostic computer.