MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have a mercedes c220 cdi year 2000. It is not going up the

I have a mercedes c220 cdi year 2000. It is not going up the gears . When I stop the car, take out the key and let it sit minute it will go ok 4 out of 10 times.. Any answers please
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

,

The transmission being stuck in 1 gear is an indication that it has gone into limp mode.

If the transmission is going into limp mode then it should have stored a fault code - the first thing to do is get the codes read on a diagnostic tool.

Also the oil level should be checked - there is no dipstick installed from the factory so a special tool is required (a dipstick! These are available from tool suppliers or also on ebay).

Check the transmission leaks - this transmission is prone to leaking from the electrical connector on the front of the transmission . If leaking from here then the electrical spacer & seals in the transmission will need to be replaced & the electrical connector cleaned with electrical cleaner.

A common fault inside the transmission is with the electrical plate - this usually shows up as a code transmission speed sensors. The valve chest needs to be removed .

Another possibility can be undervoltage fault codes stored – this is often down to a faulty battery. The battery should be checked with an electronic battery tester if undervoltage fault codes are present in the transmission ECU.

I would also recommend a transmission oil & filter change & inspect inside the sump pan signs of swarf indicating internal wear or damage to the transmission .

Best regards, Paul