Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a VITO 110CDI w638. Having MOT issues wit hand break.

Customer Question

I have a VITO 110CDI w638.
Having MOT issues wit hand break. I have replaced disc/drum and all pads on both sides. But I am getting poor performance on the right rear. I have had it apart a few times to see what it might be. Cable was sticking on that side a bit, so thought it might be glazing over from friction. I have freed the cable some and put sand paper to the drum to try re-bed. I think I will need to replace cable in the future as the sleeve is broken, but should be ok for now. Have I missed something or is it an issue?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

also check that the brake lining for the handbrake isn't worn too low or contaminated with oil

if this is OK grease all the pivot points of the brake shoe inside the drum with copper grease and applly plenty of grease to the cable working it back and forth to pump grease inside
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as in my question, drum and pads are clean as are new. moving parts are moving and lubed as best as possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
also check that the brake shoes are adjusted up to just clear the drum

and if that doesn't help then all thats left is the cable tension on that side
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this?