Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a Mercedes C220 CDI with automatic 5 speed transmission

I have a Mercedes C220 CDI with automatic 5 speed transmission on 55 reg car with 35000 miles from new. The problem I am starting to experience is that it occasionally while driving slips out of gear whch means I have to slow down to a standstill before it will re-engage.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Stan :

Transmission fluid condition must be checked. If metal shavings are found, gearbox will require an overhaul. If fluid is OK, it's replacement might cure the issue.
best regards,
Stan

Customer:

Customer:

Can you explain the logic behind your reply.

Customer:

Stan :

The symptoms can be caused by mechanical failure in the transmission, clogged valve body due to normal wea of friction plates r or insufficient transmission fluid level.
So the first thing to do is to check the condition of the fluid level and make sure that the mechanical components are not damaged