MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

. I am George I have Mercedes 220 diesel occasionally

hello. I am George I have Mercedes 220 diesel occasionally when I go to start fuse 52 blows this is now happening on a more regular basis .heater plug light stays on for 12 seconds after startup this did not happen until recently any connection
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,

This is almost certainly a bad starter motor drawing too much current causing the fuse to blow - in some cases I have seen the electrical connectors to the starter become loose and cause the fuse to blow so check the connections are tight first but if the wiring is good at the starter motor then the starter itself will need to be replaced.

The glow plug light staying on is unrelated & serves as a warning light for the glow plug system - this should be checked on a diagnostic tool to see what the problem is but in most cases is one or more of the glow plugs have gone bad. In some cases it could also be the glow plug module.
Generally although you could just replace the affected glow plug(s) it is much better practise to replace the set.

Best regards, Paul