Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer

,I have 2 2007 mercedes sprinters 311 cdi both with

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2 2007 mercedes sprinters 311 cdi both with 200k on the clock with the exact same problem!! The oil levels have been rising to at least 1 1/2 litres every 3-4 weeks. The oil level has gone upto 1cm above the max marker, this is when then both smoke white/blueish smoke on idle only once the engine is warm. I have checked the oil and its very very thin, like water but does not smell of diesel and no coolant lost either. So what can be mixing with the oil. Today I've have spent some time checking the air breather and oil separators, both have no cracks but have alot of oil in the filters. There is also a little oil collecting at the bottom of the intake at the turbo! Inbetween the bottom of the turbo and the air breather the looks like to be a sort of sensor(pcv valve???) which I pulled out of the air intake and started the engine, it is constantly blowing gasses out, if this part is a pcv valve I thought they only release at a certain pressure not all the time, Have I found the problem? Because I've spent a fortune on diagnosis and changing various parts which have made no difference! Thanks Chris

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Rising oil level can be caused by interruptions in DPF regenerations due to short or mostly city driving cycles. This causes extra fuel to be injected, which gets into the oil via cylinder walls. MB even recommends to drive the vehicle on motorway for 20 minutes every 500 kilometers to allow for the regeneration to complete.
Also, it is possible to activate the manual regeneration with the Star Diagnosis computer. Some independent MB shops have this tool besides the dealer.
Best regards,