Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a ml270 auto on a 54 plate and it's stuck in low gear.

I have a ml270 auto on a 54 plate and it's stuck in low gear. Any suggestions? Thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Stan :

The low/high range switching is carried out by the electric motor at the rear of the transfer case. It is not uncommon for this motor to seize in one position. Sometimes tapping on this motor can make it move again. This motor can be accessed from below of the ML.
Best regards,
Stan

Customer: Thank you Stan, but this did not happen whilst changing from low to high range, The car seemed to stay in first gear from start up and didn't move up the box at all. Would this be the same? Thanks
Stan :

Sorry for misunderstanding. The car stays in first or second gear, right?