Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I parked my c220 auto on a slope in park left it running got

I parked my c220 auto on a slope in park left it running got out of the car to talk to someone in front
Mercedes 220cdi 2011 I parked the car in park on a slope with the engine running got out to talk to a friend did not apply hand brake after 5 mins girlfriend got out of car switched engine off took key out car rolled into car in fronts tow hitch 1
[
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Carry on please Dave

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dave,
The park lock is fully mechanical. So if car started to roll in park after it was standing in park for some time- the park engagement mechanism must be overhauled. Either some engagemnt spring is damaged or park pawl is worn out Some parts are accessible from outside, so it might be possible to fix the issue without removal of the transmission.
Best Regards,
Stan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Stan It was already lock in park as it had been for five mins does this mean there is something in there that removes the lockin pin in the gearbox It has done only 30.000 mls is this a common fault with this car Dave'

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,This is very unusual that park gets disengaged. The system is designed to prevent such situation from happening. The park pawl mechanism must be disassembled to see what exaclty went wrong.
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer