Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Mercedes Vito gear selector light is not on, 2 bars still

Customer Question

Mercedes Vito gear selector light is not on,
2 bars still on the fuel gauge and its out of fuel
Hit & miss as to wheather the clock will change when I go to the procedure,
Can you advise what to do please?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

I asked the question, I paid the money, that's my side of the deal done,

Can you answer it or not, if not then return the money to my a/c

I love the name on the button "Reply to Expert"

Pat

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Pat,
The incorrect fuel level indication can be caused in some cases by the instrument cluster glitch or bent float lever of fuel level sender.
In first case the problem can be cured by disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes.
If this does not help,fuel sender will have to be removed and it's adjustment and resistance should be checked
CLick here for the test values of the sender unit

If the resistance is not correct at the prescribed float heights- then the sender will have to be replaced.

Best regards,
Stan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Stan,

If I disconnect the Battery for 20 mins, will this sort the gear indicator also, do you think?

The float lever is bent down probably, is this a difficult job or does the tank have to be dropped ?

Pat

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Pat,
It seems to be a software glitch. So the battery disconnect is the first thing to try.
The tank will have to be removed to get the fuel sender unit out to check the lever

regards,
Stan