MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

As im new to the SLK and the Mercedes brand, is there anything

As im new to the SLK and the Mercedes brand, is there anything in particular I need to look out for on SLK 250?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
MB Paul :

Hi - have you bought the car yet or is it one that you are looking at? Is it a petrol or diesel model?

Customer:

Bought the car a month ago 2.2 diesel auto with 16000 miles. What's the life of an auto box in these?

MB Paul :

Hi - the gearbox is generally very good on Mercedes. We see a few electrical faults on our transmissions which can sometimes need repair but the actual box is generally mechanically very good with very few problems

MB Paul :

The new SLK has generally been very good on the whole with no real major problems at all that I can think of

Customer:

that makes me feel a lot better

Customer:

many thanks

MB Paul :

We have seen a few issues with the engine - injector issues on early models & coolant leaks from a couple of places but on the whole again are very good

MB Paul :

no problem at all

MB Paul :

I hope you are enjoying the car!

Customer:

what year are you classing an early model?

MB Paul :

One thing I would say is after the 2nd service it may be worth considering a Mercedes Benz Service Contract - they can really save you money from the 3rd or 4th service onwards

Customer:

I am actually liking it more than I thought I would

MB Paul :

Really around 4-5 years ago on this engine (on all models) - most had a service measure to replace the injection system which resolved this although we doo still see models that have this measure outstanding from time to time

Customer:

lets hope mine is just that bit too young to suffer from this

Customer:

Thanks Paul

MB Paul :

If it was applicable then it would be covered under warranty anyway to update the injection system.

MB Paul :

No problem at all - carry on enjoying your car!

Customer:

will do and ty

MB Paul :

no problem at all - let me know if you ever need anything else

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul