Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a 14 year old Mercedes automatic C 220 Kompressor, regularly

I have a 14 year old Mercedes automatic C 220 Kompressor, regularly serviced, initially by Mercedes, then swapped to a reputable garage. This is the recent problem: Car starts normal, drives normal in D from my house, then have to stop maybe after 200metres to give way, Gear still in D, but it does not move/accelerate. No Reving sound, car has not stalled, but it just does not move.
Moving the gearbox a few times or going inot reverse and then back in D, it moves again.
the garage had it in for two days and it drove perfectly well. i have got it back for 3 days and it was fine, but this morning it played up again.
Please advise what it could be? It is unsettling , because it happened turning onto a busy road and suddenly not going anywhere. Many thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Stan :

When the problem occurs, does the car crawl when brake is released?
Do the engine rpms rise if you floor the accelerator pedal?
Regards,
Stan

Customer:

Hello Stan,

Customer:

Affirmative, it does crawl when accelerating with pedal, although there is no revving sound as such. I changed the gear to 3 or 4 hoping it kicks in and again in D and suddenly it moves on to normal speed or I stopped allltogether, start again and it worked perfectly for some unfathomable reason. jasmine

Customer:

Just to clarify, it crawls only sometimes

Customer:

.. other times it does not move at all. The car never stalls

Stan :

Hello Jasmine,
Such symptoms point to a faulty electronic accelerator pedal. When it is pushed engine revolutions must always rise. I suggest to have the fault memory of the engine control unit checked at your workshop. Ideally, this should be done when the problem is present to check the accelerator's actual value.
Best regards,
Stan

Customer:

Hello Stan

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** the first person commenting on the 'crawl' symptoms. sorry, if I may ask a very silly question. Do you mean by engine revolutions the sound when one revvs up or the indicator on the dashboard?

Customer:

Also, does a garage other than Mercedes have the right equipment to check the fault memory and such, or do I need to splash out and go to a Mercedes garage?

Stan :

The engine sound from revving must always go up together with the tachometer needle in the cluster.
Ideally, the garage should have the Star Diagnosis computer, which many of the independent MB workshops have. But other diagnostic tools are capable to get the needed data as well.
It is normal for the car to crawl on the level surface when gear selector is in D and brake pedal is released.

Customer:

Thank you. I shall do. Great Advice and something at least I can go on with.. and excellent service. good evening and best regards j

Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer