Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

, Have an E300 Diesel Hybrid which had a brand new Hybrid

Customer Question

Have an E300 Diesel Hybrid which had a brand new Hybrid battery fitted to it under warranty by MBUK dealer in January 2015. The car went with customer who moved to Malaysia under private import scheme. It worked few weeks and stopped. MB Malaysia will not service any import unless supplied by them so they found a local garage who has MB diagnostic machine...but they do not have much experience with hybrids. When the computer is plugged into the car, it cannot find the Control Hybrid. Can you advise what they are doing wrong?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not found the answer yet and i have just added my answer request price to £54 as i need to resolve this matter.

Can you also add on my symptoms request that the Star Diagnostic can't recogmise the Hybrid Control N82/2

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I shall wait a couple of days and if don't get answer i will take my refund.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you .

Before we progress, do you have the UK reg number for the car in question - or , can you give me FULL details of the car...

Rgds,. MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Reg No : DE63 WFG

Chassis No : WDD2120982A903014

Apparently the MB Star Diagnositic does not recognise N82/2

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
- Hello again - Thank you for your reply and further info..

With that info I have been able to access certain data info that will help here.

I have checked and the STAR machine should access the N82/2 version - so as it wont, its either a fault with the wiring on the car - a fault in the diagnostic socket itself , a fault with the actual Ecm on the car - or either a fault with the STAR machine being used...or, its not up top date with its software.

Given the age of the car - and the car it is, its really unlikely that you have any such issues as above with the car - but it would out of all the things I mentioned, be worth checking the actual DLC - the diag socket. Sometimes , the pins in the socket will actually push back into the rear of the socket causing connection / comms issues... thats not unusual so do check that to be sure.. then go from there if thats it.

If not - then the next thing is to check the STAR machine itself. I really think this will from what you have said, be the problem here... a software issue with the machine - either not up to date - or a fault with the machine itself.. this avenue definitely needs investigating because the car shouldn't be having these issues.

If you get no joy there - they need to be looking for and using a different garage Im afraid.. Even a dealer should deal with it - for the right money... you may have to speak directly with them on this re the issues to get this sorted. A MB dealer machine will def be up to date - and Im sure thats what the issue is here / the way forward to cure this for you...

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for looking into this. However the Star Daignostic is working correctly cos a similar E300 had problems and was fixed by software update via the STAR. So i think the problem MUST be in wiring? Let me get them to recheck the wiring. This car was at MB Colindale in January and they fitted a new Hybrid Battery as the other one was faulty.

I will keep you updated

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi there -

Thank you for your reply..

It is a difficult one this as you know... but all I can do is give you suggestions as to the most likely causes of your troubles... As you say, its not unheard of for even new batteries to be faulty - and that can send you around in circles for hours on end having fitted a new one and think thats all ok now !!

But yes you can narrow things down... if you are positive the equipment is a-ok.. then yes, its back to the "car"... the wiring / connections - or modules...( ecm)

It has to be ...its narrowed down then to that / places to be searching.

The benefit of having such a problem at a dealers is that they can just fit parts - and take them off again if they didnt get the diagnosis right.. it happens (!)... but in your situation, I feel the best way forward then is to inspect the connections as I mentioned above ( not just the DLC socket - but at the Ecm as well )... then the wiring as needed.. Its not unheard of to get a chaffed wire somewhere... but if all checks out, then the nest move is to send the "suspect" module to a reputable company for pro testing - that will get it sorted for you then.

I hope the above added info helps you further in light of what you have said..

Yes indeed keep my in touch - I'll always help further if I can.

... Just a note, I'd appreciate it if you would at this point please click on the Ok / Excellent ratings for me - thats how ja credit me when you do that... Thank you again for that ..
Nb - it doesn't close you out when you click the Ok ratings - you can get back to me anytime in the future you might need ;)

All the very best / thanks..

Rgds - MIKE.
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

We still have a problem with this car. All connections are ok. Pls see attached photos. Don't understand why Star does not recognise this