Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Trying to get the layout of the rear air suspension system

Customer Question

Trying to get the layout of the rear air suspension system on e class(###) ###-####model. And diagnosis checks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Copy and paste the links below for the function description of the Airmatic suspension system along with the location of the pneumatic components. If the car will not raise at the rear the likely problems are either leakage in the rear air springs or a faulty suspension pump. If the pump is noisy it may be too weak to lift the car.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1i601ho89zlebtg/AIRmatic,_function.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/2ur8xka7ms1dxf0/AIRmatic,_location_of_pneumatic_hydraulic_components.pdf
Let me know if you have any questions. Please reply back and let me know if this is helpful to you. You must rate my service in order for the website to credit me for my help.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Marty

Thankyou for getting back to me but the information supplied is not sufficient for my needs. I obviously have a problem with my vehicle and I want to eliminate the basics where possible before looking at anything more indepth. To do this I need the layout etc. The diagrams you have provided give some views but not how to access and locate the parts and what checks to do first etc. The car that I have is also the Avantgarde as stated above (estate) and it is also Right Hand Drive. The car shown is a saloon and LHD. Additionally the car I have allows you to choose comfort or sports mode. It does not allow me to manually choose the levels as your system shows. Also I believe that the Airmatic system on my car is only supplied to the rear of the car and not the front. That is the layout that I need, with diagnosis checks and instructions etc. My understanding is that when you open the car it does an initial check on the height and adjusts as it sees necessary. This is done by the Reservoir initially and not the pump due to noise reasons. When my car is opened it is the pump that I hear and a clicking sound at the rear so the Reservoir is not being utilised. Is there a problem with the line to the back of the car so it is not delivering any pressure either from the pump or reservoir?? There is no height at all at the rear and very, very low so no pressure or attempt to raise even partially when the pump is working.Can you please advise.

Steve

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steven, can you post the vin number of the Mercedes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Marty

The VIN number is *****

The current registration Is D5HLE. Hope that this helps.

Steve

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve, sorry for the wait I have been away and did not see that you replied to me. Do you still need help with this?

Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please if you can. Want to eliminate what I can. Currently no height in rear suspension. Only just above the tyres. The front looks OK. Are you able to confirm that it's just the rears that have the airmail system on my car?

. Also when the compressor starts there is a clicking sound at the rear of the carrot the luggage area, drivers side. I take it that it is the reservoir but why the click?

Steve

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve, yes I confirmed that you only have rear air suspension. On this system the problem is usually going to be leakage at the rear air springs or a weak compressor. If the car is leaning to one side at the rear I'd look for a leak in the air spring on that side. If the car is down evenly I'd suspect a bad compressor. I'm not sure what you're hearing in the rear. Possibly a noise from one of the dampening valves.

Level Control Function Description

Level Control Location of Components