mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 1999 200 SLK has been stored in my garage two years

My 1999 200 SLK has been stored in my garage for over two years without being used, I just charged up the battery and re-connected it, but when I tried to start it all the ignition lights came on but no starting noise whatsoever. The lights and windows work and the fan is going!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing either the starter gear is stuck or the flywheel is stuck from the sitting. First put a socket and a pull handle on the crankshaft and try to turn the engine manually, if this doesn't work the starter will need to be removed and tested.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply but my mechanic has tested the starter and says it is not that. He says it is an electrical problem from either a relay or ECU?

Ok. Thank you. As long as he has verified the engine will turn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes He says that the engine turns.

Goo. The mechanic needs to verify that the ignition switch is working, he will need to remove it and ohm test the switch, not the key cylinder but the actual switch itself. The starter gets its signal to spin over from the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I will tell him! Thanks for your help.

No problem, thank you.