mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

White Smoke in 2007 C220CDI Mercedes

Customer Question

Hello Matt, my name is***** based in Zimbabwe, Africa. I recently bought a 2007 C220CDI, it's an import from UK. This car is producing a huge cloud of white smoke driving at low speed, clears up on acceleration and no smoke at higher speed driving.  Went into limp mode once, can be jerky on kick-down/overtaking acceleration. Dealer battling to find problem, nothing picked up on diagnostic, checked everything he possibly can over two months!

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
What normally causes this issue on these vehicles is a failing or sticking fuel injector which normally wont show up on a normal diagnostic. The fuel injectors will need to be tested using a live balance test which will show the failing or sticking one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, I have passed this info on to the dealer, he will advise, hopefully he can do this live balance test.

No problem, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Matt, I've been chatting at length with the dealer. Initially he was advised by a German ex Mercedes expert that these models [built for UK, shipped to African altitudes] had issues with timing of inlet and exhaust. A few vehicles like this very one were imported brand new way back then andhad the same problem. Through consultation with Mercedes, remapping of the ECU was done, Mercedes providing a "window" for this to be done via their diagnostic regime. So, he is inclined not to rush to replace injectors. Live testing in our country is difficult, we have to remove the injectors and send to South Africa for this to be done.

Here's something I read via MB Forum: [just about described what I am facing!]

"Today I had a new occurrence of the smoke. New injectors did not fix this. It appeared just as before, after driving at slow speed on a more or less flat road. This time in quite some tailwind. When stopping at a junction it was pouring out a lot of grey smoke which disappeared relatively quickly after gaining speed again.

Is there any parts of the EGR system or turbo that could influence this?
The engine is running great and starts easily and do not seem to burn much engine oil ore coolant, but I don't like this situation of not knowing what is happening, and fear costly repairs."

WE HAVE THEREFORE JUST JOINTLY DECIDED TO CHECK THE EGR VALVE, IT WILL COST $300-400 TO REPLACE IF NEEDED. LET'S SEE HOW THIS GOES, I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

Sounds good. Thank you.