Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 1983 Mercedes 230CE with a brake problem which at

Customer Question

I have a 1983 Mercedes 230CE with a brake problem which at best have been very disconcerting! Here goes... When I apply the brakes from high speed the pedal vibrates which in turn becomes a pronounced kick back on the pedal with each rotation of the wheels as the car draws to a halt. So far my friendly local mechanic has replaced the front discs and pads but to no avail. He has also replaced the prop couplings and a broken road spring with a new pair and while all these needed replacement, I can't see this has anything to do with my brake problem! Anyway, he is now suggesting the rear discs could be faulty. Could there perhaps be a fault with the front hubs causing the discs not to sit flat? I would be glad if you could please point me in the right direction towards solving this problem as right now I seem to be throwing good money after bad. Finally, this car does not have an ABS system. Many thanks, Darren.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

If the pedal is pulsing so much as you describe, that is indicative that something is cyclically pushing back on a piston somewhere - and that means something isn't running true.Since the calipers don't go round, any defects on them shouldn't create such an effect..... a few things would normally be checked - in regards ***** ***** movement at least in regards ***** ***** bearings anyway - the mating surfaces between the new discs and the hub surface has been cleaned,normally checking run out on the hub to would be one check to make - also they should be checking for disc run-out using a dial gauge. If the run-out is out of tolerance.then thats where the problem will be..sometimes if you slowly spin the disc on each wheel they may be able to pick up any out of true alignment as it spins..but using a dial guage at the same time will help id which sides at fault..also mae a rough inspection of each brake hose for condition too...