Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

W124 230 1992 engine suddenly stop running-when i turn

Customer Question

w124 230 1992
engine suddenly stop running-when i turn the key it comes on but after a few seconds it stops Again.
after 7-8 attemps it run normaly Again.i had this failure 3 weeks ago and now it happened Again yesterday.
is there a fuel filter that must be replaced?
sincerely J.N.Andersen
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm waiting!

John

Hello John,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,
The car's fuel filter is located next to the fuel pump, under the the vehicle, in front of rear axle.
But if it is clogged, problem would be present constantly.
When the problem re-occurs- please try to see if engine starts more easily when the accelerator pedal is pumped during cranking of the engine.
I suspect that the idle control valve intermittently is not getting voltage supply from aged overvoltage protection relay. This is a relay with fuses in it's top lid, behind the battery in the engine comartment. Please check the fuses. I recommend to have this relay replaced. Maybe you have a possibility to have it cracked opened and all of the soldering connections re-soldered inside the relay. It is very common for dry solders to come up over time, causing all kinds of glitches with the vehicle.

Best Regards,
Stan