Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 10 year old SL350 convertible. I have been getting

I have a 10 year old SL350 convertible. I have been getting intermittent SRS and Anti-rollbar warning messages whilst driving (occasionally whilst starting it) and the dealer I bought it from says it is the way I start it. I normally put the key into position 2 when all the lights come on in the display console, wait a couple of seconds when some of them go out, then start the ignition by turning to position 3 and releasing. Why would this be incorrect and why would it cause these lights to come on intermittently?

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still need an answer to the question as the issue about starting the car may become a legal matter.
Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to keep on but surely there is a Mercedes expert somewhere who can answer my simple question.

Peter

Hello Peter,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not want to close the question, I would like an answer. either the starting procedure causes this intermittent problem or it does'n. I appreciate it's hard, but what?
Peter,with apologies for being not impressed!
Hello Peter,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please keep the question open.
Hello Peter,
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am amazed that you can't find someone to answer such a simple question. How many Mercedes experts do you have? One would do. It's so black and white, could starting the engine cause the car to display the SRS etc. lights to come whilst driving the car after several minutes? I'm prepared to pay the bill just for a yes or no answer. Keep trying.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you. I'm sorry to see you have had a wait. Personally I have been off for while so I have only just seen this question... I can only apologise for your wait. With this issue that you have - you are not starting it incorrectly no... I shudder at some things that people get told by "dealers".. This issue will take some investigating ( poss why they don't want to know.. )... but I have to say, its not a " it will be this / that " answer... but from the symptoms.. this would add up to - either... low residual battery power.. faulty battery etc - or, a too low a power / amperage battery fitted. What happens in this case / scenario is, when you crank the engine, the starter motor is the item that takes the biggest draw on the battery on the car - if the battery is not as it should be - as above - then the "voltage draw / drop" can cause the computers that control the lights / items in question - to "scrabble" - glitch / etc - and hence throw the lights on ... This does happen.On occasion, this can be a fault with the actual ignition unit - that should be checked. - If the battery is proven to be good / ok and the right one for the car - then you have to look deeper. Starting with the electrical / actual connections on the battery for integrity - and the wires TO the actual connections. Too - the MAIN earth strap / cable from the battery NEG to the body - and then from the body to the engine/ trans needs to be checked. Replace if at all suspect.. at least remove and clean up / grease and refit.. and re check.-- If that's all ok - then the rest of the wiring needs to be checked - but pay attention also to the actual "voltage draw" of the starter motor itself.. A proper meter is used to test the draw on this . If the starter is worn internally ( and plus check its wiring / connections ) - it will cause again exactly as you have.--- If the fault is still not found - then you are into wiring / loom checking - all the earth connections - and the connections to the computers / modules.. Only when all these things have been worked through and ruled out, would you then be looking at faults with the computers... For this - you would need to be sending the respective computers for test / repair. So again - Im sorry I cant say it will be this / that .... but that is the way forward on this one to get to the bottom of this for you.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this.. ~~~~~ Meantime -- Please do click on the "Exc rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I just clarify, the way that I start the car is not responsible for these lights to come on either at start up or at some later time during my journey.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..
My apologies for the delay in my reply.
Indeed - I cannot see anything wrong at all with the "way" you are starting the car no.. The way you start it / your method is not wrong -and this would not cause these lights to come up after the engine is started - or on a journey.
The fault lights when they come on after engine start up / on a journey - indicates a fault as I outlined above.
I hope this helps you further -
Best Rgds to you - MIKE.