Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a vito 112cdi automatic. when it warms up the clutch

hi, i have a vito 112cdi automatic. when it warms up the clutch stops engaging and does not move anywhere. a red cog symbol appears on the dash as well. any idea what this might be, gear box oil?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is***** happy to help / advise.
The "cog" symbol is the key here to your fault.. it is telling you that the computer that operates and monitors the transmission / clutch system, has detected a fault somewhere on the trans..
The problem is where.. It could be low trans fluid yes- that is always the first thing to check... If low -top up and re try it.
If its not that then Im afraid there really is nothing you can do without garage help on this - or if you know someone with plug in test equipment that plugs into the vans OBD socket.. that will check/ read for faults in the Transmission system. Note - for these - a lot of smaller garages etc have the equipment for the engine systems but not trans..so be sure to ask before you arrange a test that they have the correct equipment - otherwise it wont show any faults. Of course dealers have the equipment if needs be.
Once connected the equipment will scan / read for fault codes in the tran ecu / computer - as the cog fault light is on, it will give at least one code.. once identified, you will know then exactly whats wrong and a fix from there.
So thats the way forward on this one. Im sorry I cant say it will be this / that - there are just too many things it could be - So check the oil / fluid first - then work through as above as / if needed to get this sorted for you..
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
--Meantime -- Please click on the Exc / Ok rating for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.