Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have a 2003 sl 500 that won't change out of first gear

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 sl 500 that won't change out of first gear and the engine light is on , I have just changed the battery as I was advised this was the cause but does not seemed to of worked , ant help would be greatly received
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello,your SL has 2 batteries, one in the boot can cause this. But if you let the engine warm up and then restart it- this eliminates the weak battery.
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Usually this symptom is caused by faulty electrical plate in the transmission. i suggest to have the transmission control unit fault codes checked to confirm that. If the faults are present for electrical sensors or solenoids on the electrical plate of valve body, the plate will has to be replaced with transmission oil and filter
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Best regards,Stan