Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

IVE REPLACED THE F/N/S WHEEL BEARINGS ON MY MERCEDES E320

HI IVE REPLACED THE F/N/S WHEEL BEARINGS ON MY MERCEDES E320 SPORTS DIESEL
2005 REG ON A TEST DRIVE THE ABS AND THE ESP LIT UP ON THE DASH, AT FIRST ALL OK THEN WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WENT HARD BUT ON A STRAIGHT ROAD NO PROBLEM
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
The speed sensor gap to the inductive ring on the hub might be too big after installation of the new bearing. This will cause the ESP light to come on. I suggest to compare the sensor gap between sides. Possibly the bearing is not fitted correctly.

Best regards,
Stan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Stan the ive measured the gap all ok but as I said the ABS and the ESP lights are on and when I first drive the car alls ok but as soon as I touch the brakes the steering goes hard when I corner

Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Your car seems to have the speed sensitive power steering (optional equipment). ESP control unit controls the valve in the steering rack to change the assistance applied to it.

Any code which triggers ESP warning will affect the steering as well. It is too much of the coincidence that ESP is on after the bearing replacement.
If you are sure in bearing installation, fault codes in ESP module should be checked. It can be the speed sensor wire, plug or any other ESP related electronic component causing this.

Best Regards,
Stan