Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a W202 1997 C250 TD Mercedes that occasionally has starting

I have a W202 1997 C250 TD Mercedes that occasionally has starting problems. I'm told
there is probably a fuel pipe sucking in air, but the hole not big enough to leak fuel.
As there are several fuel pipes they were unable to sort my problem. So when the problem happens, I have to hold the accelerator to the floor until the engine fires and picks up.
Question
Is a leaky fuel pipe likely to be my problem? If so, any ideas how best to identify which pipe is the problem?
Dave
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dave and Welcome -
My name is***** happy to help / advise.
Can you tell me if you have carried out any actual pressure tests - anything like that -
Rgds, MIKE.........................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

No pressure tests have been carried out.

Dave

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Dave -
Thank you for your reply -
What you can do is use the likes of a Mityvac pump or similar - to pressurise the hoses... not greatly just sufficient to pump air in - and then looks for signs of diesel leakage - it will force it out generally.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mityvac-MITMV8500-Silverline-Vacuum-Pressure/dp/B0002SQYUA
Thats a Mityvac pump - you can get them cheaper on ebay !
Thats a general way to find such leaks on these but I can tell you that the usual faults are the seals -O rings where the pipes connect to the diesel pump on the engine.
I would suggest check the tightness of the fixings - see if they will nip up.. if so, then see how it goes. If not - obtain new O rings ( from a MB parts dept -) and fit them there.. ( They will know what you mean )..
Im sure from what you say that will fix this for you.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

You could possibly be right. But i'm not a hands on mechanic. So what specialists close to Gloucester can you recommend to do this investigation?

Dave

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave -
Thank you for your reply -
Im in the UK Dave but not Gloucester - The best way forward for then is to use this site here - : http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/
Just copy / paste that into your browser Dave.
Just type in / follow its instructions and it will find you a place that way.. Really, any good garage can do this for you .. it doesn't need to be a specialist or anything ... That will be cheaper for you too.
I hope that helps you further -
--- I do just need you to click on the "OK ratings" for me at this point Dave - Thank you again..and you are welcome back anytime.
ALl the very best - MIKE.