Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My 1993 Merc 300SL (24 valve) automatic (4 forward gears)

Customer Question

My 1993 Merc 300SL (24 valve) automatic (4 forward gears) tends to 'slip' when changing between 3rd and 4th i.e. it revs high and then knuckles down into 4th. It doesn't always do it. Economy or Sport doesn't make much difference. The car has done 116,500 miles. Is this an overhaul/strip job? Is there something else I need to do? The gearbox oil doesn't smell burnt (uses Dextron II) and seems to be at normal level. The car has not been 'hammered'. If it does need repairing, any thoughts? I live on the Isle of Man. Dave
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** happy to help /advise..
This is on the 93 model - most likely an internal fault with the transmission with the drive system.
I really honestly cant say just what - they are a specialist area and it would need opening up to investigate. Sometimes the bands inside can be adjusted to cure such faults but it depends what is found.
There is only one auto specialist that Im aware of on the IOM - their tel number is ***** 0 1 6 24 -- 82 4 8 4 5. They are in Balthane
I really would suggest to use them - they have the knowledge over and above general garages and the necessary tools / equipment.. Often these people can affect repairs at considerably cheaper prices than a general garage who would usually opt to just change the trans !
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.