Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Replaced gearbox on merc class c automatic,now having intermittent

replaced gearbox on merc class c automatic,now having intermittent drive,sometimes not working at all
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help /advise.
The first thing that comes to mind is the trans fluid... do check that there is sufficient fluid in it.. I know it sounds silly - but they take a lot more fluid to fill from empty than some think - You haven't said anything about this so I have to mention it as a possibility.
Also - be sure its the correct fluid used - that is important as you will get these issues with the wrong type fluid.
You dont say if the trans you have changed over is new - second hand or what.. but after the above - and if you are saying there are no results on the diagnostics, I would strongly suggest to contact the suppliers - as you may have been sold a pup.
Of course if its new or a recon - there will be a warranty for sure -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was a second hand gearbox,and after fitted was taken for a drive and

there was no problem the next day ,no drive at all .plenty of fluid in gearbox.

coulc it be electrical

thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply and further info. Im sorry I wasn't on over the weekend.-- It is possible it could be the electrics yes - the easiest way forward on that is to first check all the electrical connections on the circuits - and check for any damage that may have occured when on the drive / test / first drive..After that - if you cannot find anything - then you will need to have a plug in diag test done.. this will interrogate the TCM - Trans Computer for fault codes and then you can go from there.. That will check BOTH the electric system and the mechanics of the transmission - So one way or the other you will find the issue you have.Its not unusual to have faults on s/hand units Im afraid but it could be just something small - thats the way forward on this now for you to get to the bottom of this for sure - .. Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point - Thank you again... and again,. you can get back to me anytime you might need after.Best Rgds, MIKE.