Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

My 1999 Mercedes S500 has started making noises on starting

My 1999 Mercedes S500 has started making noises on starting up. Presumably the air suspension. Can anything be done about this and does it make the car unsafe? It only lasts for about 10 seconds and then all seems quite OK
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still awaiting a reply to my Mercedes S500 question, please.

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a permanent Member paying £13 per month. I should appreciate an answer, please.

Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that you had to keep waiting. I am writing to you as soon as i saw your question.
Air compressor failures are quite common due to normal wear. As the compressors wear out, they start to make more louder noise. If the suspension rising speed is as usual, and there is no sinkage overnight, then it is ok to use it further. If you notice that it takes longer than usual to rise the vehicle, preventative replacement of the compressor and it's relay would be a smart course of action.
Next time the vehicle is on the lift, it is also good to check the compressor intake line for cracks. Ruptured intake line can make the noise louder.

Best Regards,
Stan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. When I start the engine, it goes up fine as it does when using the suspension height adjuster. As it makes the pumping noise every morning startup, I imagine its getting worn but still works OK.

Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.
Glad to assist you. Before the complete failure rising time will increase noticeably, so usually there is enough time to react. If the vehicle does not sink overnight, nothing unsafe should happen.

Will be great to get positive rating.
Thanks,
Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Technical support engineer