Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

429 sec. no spark after having alarm disconnected and remo

Customer Question

429 sec. no spark after having alarm disconnected and removed
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** must have an aftermarket alarm system installed. The installer must not have connected everything back up after removing the alarm. Is the car still with the installer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car was transported to a mechanic I use. He removed the alarm completely but still no spark. The original alarm company who disabled the system refused to do anything saying 'not their fault they just disconnected it' and must be a coincidence that something else happened ! ( million to one ! ). Can hear the fuel pump working but is like the immobiliser has kicked in. Mobile motor electrician has looked at it but found nothing. I feel it's something simple if only..... Had the car 16 years and somehow managed to keep going. Drives superb and always started immediately first time. Sean
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sean, there was never a factory immobilizer on this car. Has the mechanic confirmed that there is no spark from the ignition coil?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, says there is no spark from the ignition coil. Correct the alarm immobiliser is /was an aftermaket brand ( Clifford I think )
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it should not be difficult to diagnose a no spark problem regardless of whether there was an aftermarket alarm installed. He just needs to test for power to the coil and to the ignition module and test for a signal from the crank sensor.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I can send the complete ignition system test procedure to your private email address. There is an additional service charge for the workshop instructions however. I've sent the additional service agreement if you would like me to send the instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have tested power to coil and crank, mechanic not sure how to test for power to module
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will send the instructions. Send me the email address that you would like me to send them to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Marty, Please send all info as he may not have tested coil and crank effectively
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I will send the entire test. I just need an email address to send it to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
***@******.***
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Instructions have been sent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Marty, have given to mechanic who will try later today or tomorrow. What happens if there is / isn't power to the ignition module ? If the module itself is at fault can it be fixed or refurbished ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could the immobiliser still be at fault some how ?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Only if some of the tests fail. If he has all of his voltages the alarm should not be the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marty, Mechanic hoping to get on this again today or tomorrow. Many thanks, Sean
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Sounds good Sean. I'm here if you need anything.