Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have just bought a 2002 Mercedes S600. The "Keyless Go"

I have just bought a 2002 Mercedes S600. The "Keyless Go" works fine for opening the doors, but not for the "Start" button on the gear knob.
Do you have any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I would still like an answer, please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still awaiting a reply, please.

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pay £13 a month for answers so there is nothing to reverse!

PLEASE find an answer to my question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Please answer this question. If you cannot, then please say so!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
PLEASE let me have a answer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I first raised this question on 14 October.

Not only have I not received an answer, some of my chase ups have been ignored.

This is not good enough to a £13 a month payer of some two years standing!

It should not be a difficult question for a Mercedes mechanic.

"I have just bought a 2002 Mercedes S600. The "Keyless Go" works fine for opening the doors, but not for the "Start" button on the gear knob.
Do you have any ideas? "

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I really want an answer!

This is what you sent me on 18 October.

If you can't help on this very straightforward question, then please say so.

If you have a Mercedes mechanic surely he has the answer.

Tony Blok

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you telling me that you cannot help with this very basic enquiry?

I really should not have to tell you again that I may a subscription of £13 per month specifically to have questions of this nature efficiently dealt with. There is, therefore NO GOOD FAITH DEPOSIT!

Can you, or can you not answer this query which I raised as long ago as 14 October.

.

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Tony, my name is***** apologize for the long wait on this question. If the Keyless Go card allows you to open the doors but there is no response when you press the switch on the gearshift the problem may be a faulty contact in the gearshift switch. Either the pushbutton on the shift knob is faulty or there is a fault in the electronic gearshift assembly. Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Marty. That makes compete sense. Is it something that, perhaps, I could fix myself - like a faulty contact?

If not, will it be a costly fix?

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You're quite welcome Tony. The shift knob can be easily removed for an inspection. Rotate the lock ring at the base of the knob in the clockwise direction to unlock the shifter and then the shift knob just pulls up off of the lever. If the shift knob is not pushed all the way down onto the shifter it could cause the problem. If the shifter should need to be replaced it will be a bit on the expensive side. A new shifter retails for approximately $760 here in the US and takes about 2 hours to install.Let me know if you need anything else.Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, Marty. An excellent and sensible answer.

But why did it take so long, and so much chasing?

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I think your question just got lost on the list. If there were no UK Mercedes experts available when you originally posted your question it can happen sometimes. I apologize for the aggravation and will try to be more prompt with replies in the future.Marty