Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Have a 2002 c220 diesel & it wouldn't start. Green flag

Hi have a 2002 c220 diesel & it wouldn't start. Green flag came out. He by passed the ignition with a wire & it started. He said the cable from the ignition to the starter motor is faulty, & to take it to a garage. This I did. They have phoned me & said it needs a new fuse box, the one located under the engine at a cost of £280.00!
Plus labour - rounding up to £420.00.
Is this a right diagnosis?
Kind regards, Mike
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike,
This model of C-class has a starter fuse and relay in the driver side fusebox. In my experience the starter's solenoid blows the fuse in the fusebox. If this fuse is bypassed, after some time the wiring or the fusebox can get damaged. But the root cause is in the starter solenoid itself. To fix it, starter must be removed and it's actuation solenoid replaced.
If the car is disassembled- there should be some visual burning marks on the fusebox to confirm the dealer's diagnosis. Otherwise i suggest to get a second opinion from independent MB workshop.

Best Regards,
Stan